Thursday, September 1, 2011

August 2011


I can't even remember all that we did in August so I will just hit the highlights in random order. The biggest thing was the earthquake and hurricane all in one week. The earthquake was pretty strong, but not strong enough for things to be flying off the walls etc. Wyatt and I were out servicing one of our toy machines. We felt the shaking and I immediately knew it was an earthquake so we got in a doorway. It stopped after 15-20 seconds and everyone was shaken up, but there was really only damage right where the epicenter was. They had buildings (especially the high school) that were shaken off of foundations etc. I guess the high school is not going to reopen this whole year and they are going to have to share with the middle school and switch off days. The craziest thing I thought was that the earthquake was felt all the way to Maine and down south pretty far too. I guess the rocks out here are older and cooler and less fragmented (than the west coast) so an earthquake travels much further. Pretty crazy that we were only about 40 miles from the epicenter though.

Then came the news of a big hurricane out at sea. The news was predicting it to be a big storm that would impact most of the northeast. Luckily people took it pretty seriously and most people were out preparing in the days before the storm. We were already pretty ready, we just got more water, baby formula and some D batteries. I was actually gone about an hour away from home on a girls weekend friday night. We were going to stay Sat, but the storm started coming and we hurried home in the morning. We got home around noon and the storm had started and the winds were getting bad. Then a few hrs later we lost power. We still had some daylight so we made sure we were ready with all our flashlights etc. The winds were pretty intense that night and we heard some loud booms (trees falling down). Then we saw car lights on outside and heard voices. It was really weird that people were outside so Kevin went to check it out and we found out that a huge tree fell on the neighbor's (neighbor across the street) house. It was scary because it was a really big tree and at first we thought it was leaning on another tree that could have hit our house, but it wasn't. We finally fell asleep that night and when we woke up we could see all the damage. It looked like a bomb went off with all the twigs and debris in the road. We drove around to get some ice for our fridge and saw that there were so many trees and power lines down. We were without power for about 24hrs- we thought it would be longer so it was a pleasant surprise. It was so weird not to have power. You get so used to turning on lights, using the stove, microwave, washer/dryer, dishwasher. We had to cook outside on our campstove, and it got hot on sunday without a/c or fans. Luckily we still had running water, some of our friends on well water didn't have that. We were very grateful to get our power back and that there was no damage to us or our house etc. There are still people without power, but the power crews have been working around the clock on getting it all back. I think the worst of the damage from the hurricane hit NJ and VT with major flooding, but around VA and NC it was just trees and power lines mostly.






On Tuesday some of our friends still didn't have power (but they had a generator) so they wanted to go to the minor league baseball game. We have been to one earlier this year and it was a lot of fun so we were excited to go again. Last time Wyatt got scared from the loud noises (especially the small fireworks at the end of the national anthem), but this time we were prepared. We brought ear muffs that you use for shooting guns and they are kid size. It worked like a charm, he didn't even flinch. During the game we all had a good time. Wyatt was the cutest best boy ever. He was having a ball just watching everything and clapping along with everyone. It was sooo cute! Everyone around us was telling us how good he was etc. He lasted the whole game (we didn't get home until 11pm). Another funny thing during the game was that Kim wanted to sign up for this competition to win gift cards, so Deborah and I also signed up. We weren't really sure what it was, they just told us there would be running. So we went on the field at the end of the game and there were a ton of people and we all ran for a bunch of gift cards scattered on the field. I went into it thinking I would get nothing because I am just not a runner, and it was crazy with people pushing etc and it turned out I was right and didn't get anything! Kim got three and Deborah got one (they are fast) LOL. OH Well. We were able to watch the fireworks and Wyatt was starring at all the pretty colors and the noise was not bothering him thanks to his ear muffs. What a fun night!


Wyatt finally learned to crawl a few weeks ago, when he was almost exactly 10 months old. He had been trying so hard to do it, but he just couldn't. Then one day he just started moving. He was so happy that he could crawl, he would just smile and go. He is everywhere now and he loves that he can get to us whenever he wants. Now we really need to finish baby proofing. He has also started pulling up on things really well and standing and cruising around the furniture. Maybe he will walk sooner than we thought! Wyatt's two bottom teeth have also been coming in and I'm sure more because he always wanting to chew. (crawling video on facebook). Wyatt also loves to clap and that means his favorite show is wheel of fortune. We watch it most nights and one night a few months ago I turned it on and he started clapping along with it. It is so funny. I have a hilarious video of him watching and clapping and babbling (i think he knows what the puzzle is, jk). I tried to post the video here but it took forever so it's on facebook. He also still likes to jump in his jumper but now that he can crawl he doesn't use it as much. He tried scrambled eggs the other night and loved them! He downed them so quick. He has been eating a lot more and of course he wants everything that we have.

Kevin is well into his last year of school and is loving it still. He has been on some external rotations that have been good experience for him (even though he is away from home during them). I can't believe in May this experience of dental school will be over and we will have to figure out what to do and where to settle. It's going to be exciting!

We are looking forward to the next couple of weeks and months- there is a lot going on. We are taking one more lake trip, we are going to NASCAR (for free!), both my parents', sister's and aunt's birthdays, then Wyatt's first bday, my parents come to visit, and lots of Halloween fun. I can't wait, but I better start preparing now!

3 comments:

mum said...

That was so fun to read and see those darling pictures!! I miss you guys so much and can't wait to see you in Oct! Love U guys.. Mum D

Debbie said...

OH MY HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! Sam and Kev we miss you tons! WE NEED TO PLAY! Matt is on rotation this week till Fri... wanna play then? WE MISS UR STINK'N GUTS! And your guys crack me up! I'm glad you guys are safe! MISS YOU!

Heather said...

I cannot believe how big he is getting! He is so stinkin cute! We are headed back to California woo hoo and cannot wait :). Hopefully we can meet up with you guys when you are back there.